Friday, 9 September 2016

Freshwater Sponges (Spongilla fluviatilis)





I went to collect some gobies for my Dniester Biotope project and guess what I found?  A real life freshwater sponge or Spongilla fluviatilis.  I have heard of freshwater sponges, but until now, I have never seen one.  


This is what I have noticed  on a pieces of wood. At first, I thought that it was some sort of egg clutch.  But it just felt weird, almost like moss.  But it turned out a beginning of a new sponge colony





Another look at small sponge colony



Close up of Spongilla fluviatilis


And than I saw a fully formed freshwater sponge colony.  Looks like something out of the ocean. almost like a coral. Just not as colorful 







A crappy look at the freshwater sponge colonies underwater




Another piece of the sponge




Looks like a piece of coral, but it's a freshwater sponge!!!




This little piece of the freshwater sponge I took home to put into my new tank. Let's see how it goes





My silly face in front of the great Dniester River)))








check out our sponsor site for you chemical peel needs))))

Каштан Фарма









No comments:

Post a Comment